tug tent

is a tent concept based on a smart mechanism. It was developed within a research on auxetic structures. To built up the tent you simply have to tug on its fabric. Thereby the frame will fold out and create a steady body together with the fabric.


PET, Ripstop-Fabric


graduate project at Burg Giebichenstein


summer ’18

material intuition

Since modern ages we see a swift in how we perceive and use material. Before, material was selected after its dura-bility and supposed to transport an idea. Today material can be the foundation of an idea. For my graduate project I was searching for a point of conformity between material, its properties and users needs -which I call material intuition. To find possible scenarios I did a survey on physical phenomena and their impacts on material. I then mainly focused on auxetic behaviour. Usually material expands to the sides when exposed to pressure. Auxetic structures cause the inverse effect. Different experiments about mecha-nical properties defined the direction for my target product.


A straightforward user experience can be so valuable to people – even during holidays. Therefore nowadays pop-up tents are highly requested. Though they seem practical, most solutions are unrepairable. If one piece cracks there is no other way than disposing the whole tent. One benefit of smart structures is that they consist out of repeating unit cells which allow a modular assembly. This circumstance was used to develop a modular foldable tent. The tug tent is easy to unfold as well as to repack. Broken poles can easily be exchanged throughout little pockets. This modular approach enhances the life time significantly. This as well as the small packing size creates a unique selling point and makes the tent suitable for backpacking trips. 


To gain to the size of a tent I started to experiment with even bigger structures. At first I used foldable pieces which were attached to strings. Later I replaced these strings with actual tent fabric and developed a modular, exchangable frame into the fabric. For the final object I calculated the cutting patterns using CAD. Some parts were then printed while for others I built a drawing template. 


There lies a lot of more potential in this idea as this does not have to remain a small one-person tent, but a possible tent system with several frames and additional options.